IAR Embedded Workbench for ARM is a high quality, high efficiency not GCC based compiler in the upper price ranged. It is easy to use and comes with a lot sample projects.
Using an IAR EWARM project with J-Link
In the following, it is explained how to configure a project to be used with J-Link, in case a non-J-Link-pre-configured project is used.
- Open the project to configure
- Make sure that the proper device is selected
- Make sure that J-Link is selected as Debugger. If J-Link/J-Trace is not selected as Driver, select it
- Configure a proper target interface speed (fixed 4000 kHz is suitable for most targets and leads to good performance)
- Select the appropriate target interface (JTAG, SWD, ...)communication method and the correct target interface
- Now the project is ready to be debugged with J-Link / J-Trace.
Enabling J-Link built-in Flash Loader
First, choose the right device in the project settings if not already done:
- Click Project | Options | General Options | Target from the main menu
- Select the appropriate device, for example AT91SAM7S256
Second, disable IAR flash loader:
- Click Project | Options | Debugger from the main menu
- Switch to the Download tab
- Uncheck Use flash loader(s) in order to disable the IAR flash loader and enable the J-Link built-in flashloader.