Upgrading the BBC micro:bit DAPLink to J-Link
SEGGER offers the capability to upgrade the firmware on the BBC micro:bit DAPLink to a J-Link OB (On Board).
- Fully compatible with J-Link offering the same features [More..]
- Enables full featured development with Embedded Studio IDE
- Using J-Link enables the use of a broad range of IDEs
- Maintains support of HEX file Drag and Drop
- Getting started Demo project for Embedded Studio provided
Just a few easy steps are needed to upgrade the firmware on the BBC micro:bit DAPLink to a J-Link OB. The following viedo walks you through the steps needed to upgrade the BBC:microbit DAPLink to a SEGGER J-Link.
- Make sure that the latest J-Link software package is installed: J-Link software package download.
- Take the BBC micro:bit and hold the reset button pressed while connecting it via USB to the PC. This will start it in maintenance mode which allows firmware updates.
- The micro:bit will appear as mass storage device (MSD) on the PC as shown below.
- Download and extract the J-Link OB firmware from this page (below)
- Load the firmware - simply drag & drop the J-Link OB firmware (*.hex file) on to the MSD device
- After the file transfer is complete, power-cycle the micro:bit, this time without the reset button pushed
- The micro:bit will now show up as J-Link on the PC
- To verify the connection to the micro:bit use the J-Link Commander which is a command line utility that comes with the J-Link software package
SEGGER's J-Link OB firmware update for the BBC micro:bit platform, makes it fully J-Link compatible.
- The firmware may only be used for development and/or evaluation purposes. It may not be used for production purposes.
- The firmware is ONLY for use with BBC micro:bit boards. It is not for use with custom hardware.
- The firmware is made available without any warranty and without support.
- No production flash programming support
If there is any doubts or concerns on a specific use case it is recommended to contact SEGGER prior to use.
When starting a debug session, a license dialog pop-up appears which must be accepted before the J-LINK OB can be used.
Firmware version history and Limitations
Firmware version history
- Initial version