Upgrading the BBC micro:bit DAPLink to J-Link
J-Link Firmware upgrade for BBC micro:bit
SEGGER offers the capability to upgrade the firmware on the BBC micro:bit DAPLink to a J-Link OB (On Board). This firmware makes the on- board debug solution on the BBC micro:bit compatible to J-Link, allowing users to take advantage of all J-Link features such as ultra fast flash download and debugging speeds and the free-to-use GDBServer as well as application development using an IDE.
This video walks through the steps needed to upgrade the BBC:microbit DAPLink to a SEGGER J-Link.
SEGGER's J-Link OB firmware update for the BBC micro:bit platform, makes it fully J-Link compatible.
- The firmware may only be used for development and/or evaluation purposes. It may not be used for production purposes.
- The firmware is ONLY for use with BBC micro:bit boards and boards based on the micro:bit Reference Design (http://tech.microbit.org/hardware/reference-design/), provided that firmware on the micro:bit Reference Design is only used for non-commercial purposes (e.g. education, evaluation, ...). The firmware running on a micro:bit hardware may also be used to program the debug interface firmware (J-Link OB firmware, DAPLink, etc.) into hardware based on the micro:bit reference design
- The firmware is made available without any warranty and without support from SEGGER.
- No production flash programming support
If there is any doubts or concerns on a specific use case it is recommended to contact SEGGER prior to use.
When starting a debug session, a license dialog pop-up appears which must be accepted before the J-LINK OB can be used:
- Make sure that the latest J-Link software package is installed: J-Link software package download.
- Take the BBC micro:bit and hold the reset button pressed while connecting it via USB to the PC. This will start it in maintenance mode which allows firmware updates.
- The micro:bit will appear as mass storage device (MSD) on the PC as shown below.
- Download and extract the J-Link OB firmware from this page (below)
- Load the firmware - simply drag & drop the J-Link OB firmware (*.hex file) on to the MSD device.
- After the file transfer is complete, power-cycle the micro:bit, this time without the reset button pushed
- The micro:bit will now show up as J-Link on the PC.
- To verify the connection to the micro:bit use the J-Link Commander which is a command line utility that comes with the J-Link software package
Getting started - Sample projects
There are sample projects available for the BBC micro:bit that can be compiled, downloaded an debugged with SEGGER Embedded Studo. The sample projects are available for download in our downloads section:
The Firmware image to convert the on-board debug interface of the micro:bit to a J-Link OB, can be downloaded from our download section:
Firmware Version History
- Added support for VCOM
- Initial version