emPower-USB-Host is a cost-effective board with two USB-Host ports in a simple and small design. SEGGER’s emUsb-Host, emLoad, and embOS software can be easily downloaded and run on the board . Accessing the board with a debug probe is simple using the J-Link OB on the board.
Updating the firmware of emPower USB-Host with another sample or self-written software can easily be performed by storing the binary on a USB memory stick. This USB stick then is plugged in and the board is reset to run the update of the firmware.
A collection of samples for the emPower USB-Host board is readily available for download at the emUSB-Host samples page. The samples run on the board without modification.
The hardware can be used as a blueprint for own devices using two USB-Host ports, the schematics of the board are available for that purpose.
- 180 MHz ARM Cortex-M4 based core
- Floating Point Unit (FPU) and Memory Protection Unit (MPU).
- 512 KB on-chip flash program memory
- 160 KB contiguous main SRAM
- USB 2.0 high-speed host/device controller with on-chip high-speed PHY.
- USB 2.0 full-speed host/device controller with on-chip PHY and dedicated DMA
- NXP LPC546 MCU (LPC54605J512) 180MHz, ARM Cortex-M4
- J-Link OB debug probe
- 1x USB host: full-speed, providing USB supply to device, A type receptacle (for directly plugging in A type devices/modules)
- 1x USB host: high-speed, providing USB supply to device, A type receptacle (for directly plugging in A type devices/modules)
- LEDs: 6x (2 status, 4 user LEDs)
- 1x USB micro B USB 2.0 receptacle for power only
- Configuration free: no shorting links or solder jumpers required
- Dimensions 32mm x 32mm
SEGGER Evaluation Software
The emPower-USB-Host board is pre-programmed with the emLoad bootloader. New firmware images can be programmed by placing the respective Update.fw file onto a USB memory stick and connecting it to either port. Power the emPower-USB-Host board by connecting the micro USB connector to a USB port or charger and emLoad will program the image into the board.
Each demo package contains firmware images ready to be programmed into your emPower-USB-Host board.
Two USB device connectors are available, the connector marked "FS" is using the LPC546's full-speed USB controller (OHCI), the connector marked "HS" is using the high-speed controller of the LPC546. Devices can be connected to either connector.
When connecting multiple devices, hubs, or devices with a very high power draw it is advised to use a high-power USB port or an external USB power adapter. In case of a too larger voltage drop (brownout) the red status LED will turn on and the application will stop executing.
Pre-built Firmware images can be programmed using the following easy steps:
- Copy the firmware image (Update.fw) from the PreBuilt_Firmware directory to a USB memory stick.
- Insert the USB memory stick into the emPower-USB-Host board (either connector works).
- Power-up the emPower-USB-Host board. The bootloader will now copy the firmware image to the internal flash of the emPower-USB-Host board and start the application.
The emLoad bootloader is pre-programmed in all emPower-USB-Host boards. If you accidentally deleted the bootloader it can be flashed into the board again using a J-Link and the emLoad bootloader image below.