J-Link 10-Pin Needle Adapter
The J-Link 10-pin Needle Adapter has been designed to connect J-Link to a PCB which does not come with a mating connector or programming header.
- No additional connector required on your PCB
- Very small footprint
- High reliability spring pins for secure connections
- Designed with 3 locating pins, so the adapter cannot be connected the wrong way
- No external power supply required! The J-Link 10-pin Needle Adapter comes with the option to power the target hardware via J-Link
Why choose the J-Link 10-pin Needle Adapter:
The J-Link 10-pin Needle Adapter has been designed to connect J-Link to a PCB which does not come with a mating connector or programming header. The designed pattern with 3 locating pins ensures that the adapter can only be connected in one way. The needle adapter allows manufacturers to save costs and space on their PCBs since there is no need to provide the PCB with additional connectors. It adapts from the standard 20-pin 0.1'' J-Link connector to a 10-pin needle connector.
J-Link 10-pin Needle Adapter is compatible with J-Link BASE, J-Link PLUS, J-Link PRO, J-Link ULTRA+, J-Link EDU, Flasher ARM and Flasher Portable.
J-Link 10-pin Needle Adapter Specifications
As you can see on the image below, the three locating pins ensure that the adapter cannot be connected to the PCB the wrong way. Moreover, the two "legs" on each side of the connector guarantee a stable and secure contact between pins and the PCB.
Layout Problems to Avoid
Please be sure to avoid the situations illustrated below to ensure the J-Link 10-pin Needle Adapter functions properly.
The PDF version of the datasheet can be downloaded here. In addition to the footprint and hints to avoid layout problems, this PDF includes detailed information about the cable, plug and connector of the J-Link 10-pin Needle Adapter.
The following picture shows the connections from the 20pin standard JTAG connector to the 10-pin, 0.05 inch needle pattern:
Preparing J-Link to Supply Power
In order to supply 5V power to the target, you may have to configure J-Link once as follows:
- Make sure that SEGGER J-Link software is installed on your machine. It can be downloaded from here
- Start J-Link Commander, which can be found under “Start -> Programs -> SEGGER -> J-Link ARM”
- Enter the following command: power on perm
- Plug in the adapter: The LED on the emulator side should now be lit