SEGGER Evaluation Software for embOS/IP Switch Board
SEGGER Evaluation Software
Getting Started with SEGGER embOS/IP Switch Board
The embOS/IP Switch Board is intended to be mainly a demonstrator board for the Tail Tagging add-on of SEGGER's embedded IP stack emNet. Micrel/Microchip has developed switches which can expand one physical port into 1+n ports, supported by the so-called Tail Tagging mode. This enhancement allows to establish multiple physical external ports when only one physical Ethernet port is available on the CPU - by choosing another PHY.
The embOS/IP Switch Board provides a solid starting point for a project that requires multiple physical Ethernet ports by using SEGGER’s middleware products. SEGGER’s embOS real-time operating system is at the heart of the evaluation. Furthermore, an evaluation version of the TCP/IP stack emNet (including web server demo and UPnP) enables full evaluation of multi interface solutions.
There are three Ethernet ports that can be accessed individually by software although they share the same host interface by using the emNet Tail Tagging add-on. Each of the Ethernet ports can have its own hardware address and identified by the network as individual host.
The embOS/IP Switch Board is powered by USB only. Current consumption drawn strongly depends on the application and connected Ethernet links. Idle consumption is approx. 140 mA.
embOS/IP Switch Board
- Micrel/Microchip KSZ8794CNX integrated 4-port 10/100 managed Ethernet switch with Gigabit RGMII/MII/RMII interface
- 3 RJ45 Ethernet connectors
- NXP Kinetis K66 MCU (MK66FN2M0VMD18)
- On-board debug probe J-Link-OB with Drag & Drop (STM32F072, mini A/B-type connector)
- USB device: High speed, B-type connector
- LEDs: 2x BiColor red/green
- No jumpers or solder jumpers
- Rubber feet
- Dimensions 80 mm x 60 mm
Microcontroller — Kinetis MK66FN2M0VMD18
- 180 MHz ARM Cortex-M4 based core with DSP instructions and Single Precision Floating Point unit
- 2 MB program flash memory, 256 KB RAM, 4 KB FlexRAM
- Memory protection unit with multi-master protection
- Ethernet controller with RMII interface to external PHY and hardware IEEE 1588 capability
- USB high-/full-/low-speed On-the-Go with on-chip high speed transceiver
Switch main features
- Layer 2 managed 4-port switch
- 3 10/100 Mbps copper ports + 1 10/100/1000 Mbps uplink port
- Internal biasing, on-chip termination
- Enhanced power management features incl. Energy Efficient Ethernet (EEE), PME, WoL
- Programmable rate limiting and priority ratio
- Tagged and port-based VLAN
- Port based security and ACL-rule based packet filtering technology
- QoS priority with four queues
- High-performance memory bandwidth and a shared memory-based switch fabric with non-blocking support